Michelle Smee joined CBRE in 2009 and is a Vice President and Senior MAP underwriter for the HUD FHA multifamily lending platform at CBRE Capital Markets. Ms. Smee’s work focuses on permanent debt products including Section 223(f), 223(a)(7), 221(d)(4) as well as 202 HUD programs. Ms. Smee also specializes in affordable housing including low income housing tax credits (LIHTC) and Section 236 IRP decoupling.
Ms. Smee has more than 15 years in commercial real estate with an emphasis on the HUD FHA Multifamily insured loan products. Before moving to the United States in 2001, Ms. Smee worked as a Senior Appraiser / Commercial Broker for Walker Packman and also Chesterton International plc (now BNP Paribas Bank). Within the United States, Ms. Smee initially worked for Grubb & Ellis, Oakland as a Commercial Real Estate Broker, before moving to PNC Bank N.A., San Francisco where she worked on Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae as well as HUD FHA multifamily loan products.
Ms. Smee is closely affiliated with the RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors), where she has been the Chair of the Northern California Chapter for the last three years. In addition she is an Assessor for the RICS APC (Assessment of Professional Competence) Panel – mentoring and assessing new appraisers within North America and Mexico on behalf of the RICS; enabling new successful candidates to benefit from the worldwide professional recognition and prospective job opportunities, particularly in China and South Asia.
Ms. Smee has also been a guest speaker at the HUD Western Lender’s Conference in Las Vegas.
Professional Affiliations / Accreditations
- Approved FHA HUD MAP underwriter
- Chair of the Northern California Chapter of the RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors), for the past three years
- Fellow of the RICS
- Associate Member of the Appraisal Institute
- Past Committee member of the BABC (British American Business Council)
- HUD FHA MAP Certified
- South Bank University, 1st Class BSc. Hons degree in Commercial Real Estate, London, England, UK
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, England, UK